Saturday, April 18, 2015

Silk and Tatting

I know I'm due for another update on The Dress, but I want to talk about The Veil real quick.  I've actually had a vision in my head of my perfect bridal veil for a lot longer than I've had one of my dress.  What I have always pictured is more or less... ok, exactly like this:

She just beat me to it.
I have a deep and abiding hatred for tulle, which was only sharpened and honed by working in bridal for a year and a half.  So I was never planning on having a tulle veil.  Once I started ordering samples of silk for my dress, I also started looking at various sheer silks for a veil.  My favorite was the 3mm silk gauze from Dharma Trading.  It's so light and floaty and gorgeous!

Of course, when I finally got around to ordering my veil supplies, I had misplaced my sample.  So I ordered from memory, and accidentally got silk chiffon, which is not quite as sheer.  Beautiful stuff, though.  I decided to keep it to use for something else in the future, and re-ordered the gauze I meant to buy in the first place.

Here are the two fabrics side-by-side - gauze is on the left.
What to do with five yards of silk chiffon, though?  I'll have to come up with something fabulous...  (I bought way more fabric than I needed for my veil, but that was on purpose.  I have a secret project in mind for the extra gauze.)  

Now, a gorgeous fabric deserves gorgeous lace!  Did I tell you guys that I learned to tat?  Melissa Mead, an awesome co-worker of mine, taught me how back in September.  



I was a little excited.

I was learning to tat so that I could make more of this lace:


These were scraps of lace left over from my mom's wedding dress and veil, tatted by my aunt and grandma back in 1980.  I was originally planning to make enough lace to edge my veil.  


Then a few days later, Melissa surprised me by giving me 2+ yards of silk tatted lace!  


I was floored when she told me it was for me!  I decided to use this lace for my veil, and use the scraps of my mom's lace for the edging of my handkerchief.  More on that later.  :)

I wanted to make more of this gorgeous silk lace, so I ordered some matching silk thread on etsy.  While I waited for it to arrive, I practiced the pattern on some fine cotton thread that was conveniently already wound on one of the tatting shuttles that I inherited from my grandma.


When my gorgeous silk thread arrived, it was a bit of a learning curve.  The knots slid along the thread beautifully, but it also knotted much tighter than I was used to.  But eventually I got the hang of it.

Melissa's lace is across the top; my early attempt at copying the pattern is below.  
I'll post pictures of the finished veil after the big reveal of The Gown.  :)  

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear you tat too! Awesome hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun, isn't it? I love seeing your creations.

      Delete