Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Final Touches

At some point in the construction process I added a hidden pocket in the right side seam of the skirt.  This same seam is where the back of the overskirt ended, so I just tucked the raw edge inside while I had the seam open, and stitched it shut again with everything neatly sandwiched between.  This was all covered by the side drape, which I simply slid my hand underneath from behind in order to access the pocket discreetly.  I used this pocket to hold my handkerchief, vows, and cell phone (on silent, of course) during the ceremony.

Right side with the drape hiding everything
Pull it aside - hidden pocket!  
I put it in slightly lower than I meant to, but it was too much work to move it.  
Just a few days before the wedding, my mom helped me finish the train.  We cut a semi-circular shaped piece of heavy Pellon interfacing and sandwiched it between the layers of the pleated back of the train and the twill tape waistband.  Then Mom stitched it down with both horizontal and vertical lines to hold it in place and give the back of the train the extra support it needed.



To attach the train, Elise sewed on a skirt hook at the front of the waistband, and when it was on I simply covered the twill tape with the front drape.


The back ends went under the back of the train and fastened together with skirt hooks again.


And finally the dress was done!  Now for the good part - wedding day pics!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment